Thursday, August 15, 2013

Our Adventure Begins Tomorrow!

It is finally here!  Tomorrow Conor and I leave for Madrid, Spain to begin the El Camino de Santiago.  We will depart JFK at 4:25 pm for Paris and then on to Madrid, where we land around 9 am.  From there we will take a train to Leon, Spain (2 1/2 hours) to begin our journey.  Right now our plan is to spend the day/night in Leon at Hostal Boccolino to rest up and then begin hiking early Sunday morning.  After a cup of cafe con leche, of course!

Our backpacks have been packed and repacked, trying to get the weight down to 10% of our body weight.  My hiking shoes have been broken in ...... I believe.  We will soon find out.

Just checked the weather forecast for the week and I must say it looks a bit warm, 99 degrees!  Yikes!  Looks like we had better be packing plenty of water.  Hoping I will find bathrooms along The Way after drinking all that water, but I have mentally prepared myself for the inevitable..... bushes and trees.

The past twelve months have certainly been challenging, with the death of my father, illness, treatment, grad school and the tragedies that took place in Boston and Newtown, CT.  With the support of incredible colleagues, friends and family, I have come through on the other side!  Now, as I head off on this next journey, I have no doubt that I will get through this too.  When I make it to Santiago, I will offer prayers and thanks at the cathedral for the wonderful people in my life.

I hope to update this blog daily, with pictures I hope, but that may be a bit ambitious.  My sister Tracy will also help with updates as needed.  Adios for now!

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-frances/

2 comments:

  1. Have a safe flight and an amazing time! Can't wait to read your blog and follow your journey!
    Love,
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fabulous trip Deena! I can't wait to read about our adventures! You are amazing!!

    Hope to see you when you get back,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete